He was detained for 42 years for triple homicide. After all, it was innocent

Kevin Strickland was sentenced to life in prison in 1979 in Missouri, USA, for a triple homicide he never committed. More than 42 years later, he has now been found not guilty and released.

The case is being reported by several North American media. According to them, Kevin was just 18 years old when he was convicted in June 1979. It is “the longest wrongful prison in Missouri state history” and “the seventh longest in the US.”

This Wednesday, after 15,487 days in prison, the court ordered the immediate release of Kevin Strickland.

Lawyers for the Midwest Innocence project, who worked for months to help free the American, said they were “ecstatic” by the news, despite nothing giving him back the 42 years he was in prison and “the state does not pay him nor a dollar for the time he stole from you”.

It should be remembered that Missouri only compensates inmates who are acquitted for DNA evidence, which is not the case.

Kevin Strickland was sentenced to life in prison, without the possibility of parole, after being found guilty of a massacre in Kansas City on April 25, 1978, in which three young men, aged between 20 and 22, were killed. by four men.

A fourth victim, aged 20, managed to escape after pretending to be dead. It is now known that, due to alleged police pressure, the young woman named Kevin, among other suspects, as one of the attackers.

The African-American always said that he was innocent and that he had been watching television all night, at home. Evidence of his physical presence at the scene was never presented and one of the murderers even claimed that Kevin had not participated in the crime.

The American press reports that Kevin’s first trial was suspended after a black juror asked for his acquittal. The second trial, with a jury consisting only of white elements, found the young man guilty, accusing him of triple murder.

Years later, the young woman who survived the massacre and who was the only eyewitness to the case reported her testimony. “Things weren’t clear at the time, but now I know he’s innocent and I’d like to help him,” he revealed at one point to lawyers in the Midwest Innocence lawsuit.

However, she ended up dying before formalizing, in court, the alteration of her testimony. Despite this, both the mother, the sister and the daughter have now asserted in court that she had repeatedly admitted the error.

On his way out of court, Kevin revealed that he wants to do two things first: visit his mother’s grave, with whom he has barely had time to live with due to incarceration, and see the sea, something he never had the opportunity to do.

Also Read: Man found not guilty of murder after 24 years behind bars

Always be the first to know.
Fifth consecutive year Consumer Choice for Online Press.
Download our free App.

Google Play Download