In North Korea, several senior officials sacked after a “serious incident” linked to Covid-19

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has sacked several top officials in the country over a « grave incident » linked to the fight against the pandemic due to Covid-19, the official KCNA agency announced on Wednesday, June 30.

These officials have “Caused a serious incident which causes a huge crisis for the security of the nation and its people”Kim said at a politburo meeting as quoted by KCNA. The agency did not provide any details on the number of people sacked or the charges against them but, it said, Mr Kim accused them of being “The prey of selfishness and passivity”.

“The incompetence and irresponsibility of senior officials is a major factor slowing down the performance of important tasks”, added the North Korean leader during the meeting, according to KCNA.

Article reserved for our subscribers Read also In North Korea, the Covid-19 pushes foreign diplomats to exodus

So far, the North Korean regime has always maintained that the Covid-19 epidemic has not arrived on its soil, which many experts doubt.

The country more isolated than ever

At the head of a country with a failing health system, Kim Jong-un decided to close North Korea’s borders in January 2020 in order to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus which appeared in his Chinese neighbor.

Under international sanctions for its nuclear program, North Korea found itself more isolated than ever because of this measure. Its trade with China, on which it is heavily dependent, has drastically reduced and aid workers have deserted the country.

Article reserved for our subscribers Read also North Korea returns to missile fire and tension strategy

Kim Jong-un recently admitted that North Korea faces a “Tense food situation”.

The World with AFP