Automotive fleets are moving towards electric

The message seeks to mobilize economic decision-makers on the occasion of COP26. According to Tex Gunning, president of LeasePlan, “Business leaders must take full responsibility for combating climate change. And switching to an electric fleet is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to make a difference ”.

The long-term rental company manages 1.8 million vehicles in twenty-eight countries and has just carried out a study which indicates the avenues to follow to green the fleets. According to the findings of this survey, six out of ten cars sold in Europe are company vehicles. In 2019, nearly 96% of registrations of this type of vehicle ran on diesel or gasoline. Another eloquent figure is that company vehicles run an average of 2.25 times more than private cars. According to the experts interviewed by LeasePlan, electrification is the most advantageous solution in terms of reducing emissions from transport.

In fact, the electrification of fleets is already underway, with visible effects. When global transport emissions have increased by an average of 1.9% per year since 2000, they increased by less than 0.5% in 2019. LeasePlan is already acting on its own fleet and is committed to achieving carbon neutrality for the entire park it finances by 2030.

Electricity represents one in three sales

During the first half of 2021, Arval, one of the main long-term rental companies in the world, devoted 26% of its deliveries to electric and hybrid. At the end of June 2021, the BNP Paribas subsidiary’s fleet numbered 154,402 electrified vehicles, an increase of 83% compared to the same period of 2020. For its part, ALD Automotive has just launched a long-term rental offer. (LLD) for the entire Tesla range. This offer is aimed at companies of all sizes and covers sixteen countries across Europe.

In France, at the rental company ALD Automotive, one in four registered vehicles has plug-in hybrid or 100% electric technology. At the end of August and on a rolling year, electrified vehicles represented 30% of LeasePlan’s starts in France.

Payable every year, the tax on company vehicles favors electric vehicles which are exempt from it

According to statements from AAA Data, a specialist in automotive data, sales of electric vehicles to businesses jumped 62% over the first nine months of the year. Over this period, these low-emission vehicles represented 6% of registrations made with this clientele. As for hybrid models, their volumes remain stable compared to 2020 and mobilize 26% of the market. Combined, electric and hybrid take 32% of the market share. In 2017, this percentage was limited to 5% when, in 2019, before the health crisis, it peaked at 10%.

You have 48.23% of this article to read. The rest is for subscribers only.