Pierre Ménès announces his departure from Canal +

Pierre Ménès will not return to Canal +. Sidelined since the end of March following accusations of sexual assault, the star columnist of the “Canal Football Club” announced to Agence France-Presse (AFP) that he had found a financial agreement with the encrypted channel, ending nearly twelve years of collaboration.

The agreement, the amount of which is ” strictly confidential “, was concluded on 1is July, as revealed The team, Pierre Ménès said in an interview with AFP. “It is not a dismissal, it is I who asked to leave”, he assured. Asked by AFP, Canal + had not confirmed this information Monday morning.

The former journalist of L‘Team has been in turmoil since the broadcast, on March 21 on Canal +, of a documentary (“I’m not a slut, I’m a journalist”), on sexism in sports writing and the revelation of incriminating sequences, cut during the editing at the request of the management of the channel.

Article reserved for our subscribers Read also Pierre Ménès, the fall of a football big mouth

Internal investigation

Pierre Ménès, 58, is notably accused of having lifted off the air in 2016 the skirt of journalist Marie Portolano, co-director of the documentary. He says he does not remember it because of serious health problems at the time: a non-alcoholic cirrhosis which kept him away from the plateaus for seven months and required a double transplant of the liver and a kidney.

He is also criticized for having forcibly kissed journalist Isabelle Moreau on television in 2011, as well as columnist Francesca Antoniotti in 2016.

Article reserved for our subscribers Read also Sexism, sexual assault: the Canal + channel caught up with the excesses of columnist Pierre Ménès

Suspected of having wanted to protect its star columnist by censoring passages from the documentary, the encrypted channel had immediately announced the launch of an internal investigation – the results of which have not yet been revealed – and had excluded him from the antenna at the end of March. ” From a common agreement “, according to Pierre Ménès.

“I did not see myself coming back to the air with certain people who let go of me in a despicable way”, explained the columnist, also citing “The vagueness surrounding the rights of Ligue 1”, whose crypto channel announced it was withdrawing after Amazon’s smashing entry into the market last month. For the start of the school year, he plans to launch his own online platform, always in connection with the middle of the round ball.

Article reserved for our subscribers Read also “We were the kings of oil”: glory and setbacks of the sports service of Canal +

The World with AFP