Just stopping to get gas in Marstons Mills

Back in 1930, a single-engine DeHavilland Gipsy Moth aircraft stopped off for a refill at the Cash Market in Marstons Mills.

There were no refueling capabilities at the Marstons Mills Airfield at that time, and though it’s not known exactly what brought the biplane in for a landing there, in order to fly out again, the plane had to be towed to the market to be gassed up.

A vintage photo taken at the scene appears on T-shirts and hoodies being sold locally to raise money for the Marstons Mills Historical Society.

The light aircraft was built for “the man in the street.” The wings of the 1929 open-cockpit, wooden biplane were “pinned back,” designed to fold back along the sides of the fuselage, so that the aircraft was readily maneuverable and could be hangared in a regular garage-sized space or attached by its tail to a car for towing.