“The best offer I ever had”

Veteran cornerback Richard Sherman has signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team announced Wednesday.

A source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter that Sherman signed a one-year contract.

Sherman had been in talks with the Buccaneers for several weeks and said on The Richard Sherman Podcast that various teams, including the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks and Carolina Panthers, also expressed interest.

“I went with the best offer I had, the best opportunity to go out and put on a great tape, to lead another group,” Sherman said. “I feel comfortable and confident in my abilities to go out and execute and help that team win.”

Sherman said quarterback Tom Brady also reached out to him.

“He’s the all-time great quarterback coming up, and every time he makes that decision, it’s a very difficult opportunity to pass up,” Sherman said.

Sources told ESPN’s Ed Werder on Tuesday that Sherman believed he needed a week or two to get ready to play in a game.

The Buccaneers will be Sherman’s third team in the NFL, after he spent the past three seasons with the 49ers and began his career with seven seasons in Seattle.

Sherman, 33, can bring valuable experience to one of the youngest defensive backfields in the NFL. He’s also a sure tackler, which has been a problem for the Tampa Bay defense this season.

The Buccaneers are without Sean Murphy-Bunting, who was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated right elbow on Sept. 20, and Jamel Dean, their third cornerback, left Sunday’s game against the Los Angeles Rams with a knee injury in the first quarter and he did. Do not come back.

Sherman is grappling with legal issues and has a pretrial hearing scheduled for Friday in Washington. He was arrested in July in connection with a situation at his wife’s parents’ home in Redmond, Washington, and was charged with five misdemeanors, including two counts of domestic violence: burglary in the second degree and malicious mischief in the third degree. . – as well as resisting arrest, driving under the influence, and recklessly endangering road workers.

He pleaded not guilty to all five charges and said in a statement on Twitter in July that he was “deeply sorry” for his actions and “behaved in a way that I am not proud of.”

In February, King County prosecutors and the sheriff also obtained an “extreme risk protection order” for Sherman, banning him from having weapons after a judge found he posed a danger to himself and others. The details of the case were sealed.

The Buccaneers did their due diligence on Sherman’s legal situation and believe he has the necessary support systems, sources told ESPN’s Jenna Laine.

.